What separates “Justice For Life” from other outpatient programs is that it focuses on "habilitation skills" rather than soley upon rehabilitation. Rehabilitation assumes that the offender was responsible, capable, and stable before an arrest. Whereas habilitation dictates the offenders must first gain the missed stability in their lives in order to build a solid foundation through coping strategies without excuses. We recognize that many of the offenders are emotionally arrested before they are physically arrested. So, we use a unique modality that utilizes a person-in-the environment concept that promotes stages of personal development. JFL treats and/or confronts offenders with an interpretation/understanding of their culture and addresses their irrational thinking.
As founder of Broward’s non-residential intensive day treatment (NRD), ATACC jail program, and the Broward County Drug Court while at Broward Addiction Recovery Center, Guy’s innovativeness speaks for itself.
- He holds a Master’s Degree in Social Work with an emphasis on Mental Health, Bachelors in Forensic Study, and dual Certifications as an Addiction Professional (CAP) and Criminal Justice Professional (CCJAP). Guy has been a DUI instructor for 17 years. He is a Certified Cultural Competency trainer as wellas a HIV/AIDS trainer. He also holds a Ph. D. in Divinity.
- He is the primary Educator for Broward’s Misdemeanor’s Drug Court.
- Before starting GAWG, Guy Wheeler served as Administrator and Assistant Director (equivalent to a Major) of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Department of Community Control. In 1991, he brought the new Drug Court concept to Broward County officials, and Broward became the third Drug Court in the nation. As Director of Broward’s Drug Court Treatment, Guy also directed a city jail program called ATACC Program (Alternative Treatment Against Crack Cocaine).
- In addition, after leaving BSO in 2002, he has traveled the national and international circuit as a consultant, professional speaker, and workshop/training facilitator. Guy produced three training videos that are distributed and sold nationally and internationally (GWCINC.com). He is one of the featured speakers at the National Conference on Addiction & Criminal Behavior.
- Broward National Alcohol & Drug Addiction named him “Therapist of the Year for 2007 - 2008”.
- In May 2008, Guy presented three seminars at the National Association of Drug Court Professionals in St. Louis, Missouri.
Guy brings a plethora of over 20 years of experience, expertise, education and excellence to the arena. At Justice for Life we incorporate a createive, blended and integrated modality dealing with substance abuse, mental health and the criminal and/or faulty behavior.
Justice for Life provides the following services to promote healthy lifestyles:
- Lifestyle Educational Group (12-Hours/MDCP)
- Judicial Lifestyle Educational Group (12-Hours)
- Abridged Lifestyle Educational Group (4-Hours)
- Psycho-Educational Group (12-weeks)
- Individual Counseling
- Anger Resolution Course
- Shoplifting Educational Course